I’ve been on such a roll with the orange recipes this month, you guys. I’ve been low-key obsessed with all things orange! I’ve always loved orange and chocolate together, so it only seemed right to add chocolate chips to these orange flavored pancakes.
These pancakes are light and fluffy, flavored with orange juice and orange zest, and pebbled with just enough chocolate chips. This recipe is perfect for my little family of three but you can easily double (or triple!) the recipe. I used a 1/3 cup measuring cup to scoop my batter to make small pancakes. If you’d like bigger pancakes, then try measuring out 1/2 cup of batter for each!
I made two batches of these, and I found it so easy to whip these up! It’s only a little more work than a boxed pancake mix, and you know exactly what’s going into your pancakes! You can make the batter in one bowl, first whisking together the dry ingredients, and then adding in the wet ingredients.
Depending on the size of your non-stick pan, you may want to cook these one at a time. In that case, I recommend spraying non-stick spray (I like to use olive oil) on your pan before each pancake. Then you’ll cook them until they’re nice and bubbly and the edges look slightly done. Flip them over and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes or until the bottom is brown.
Some of the ingredients I love for this recipe:
All-purpose flour helps keep these pancakes light and soft.
Coconut sugar is my all-time favorite sugar because it’s unrefined and low GI, which means it’s less likely to spike your blood sugar than other sugars (like regular, granulated sugar or honey). It doesn’t taste like coconut, either!
Orange juice + orange zest give these pancakes the special orange flavor! You can add as much or as little orange zest as you like, but I think the more the better!
Baking powder is key in getting these pancakes fluffy. And it will help the flavor of the orange juice really shine through as it doesn’t react with/affect the juice’s acidity.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp coconut sugar
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup dairy-free chocolate chips
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Zest from 1-2 oranges
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, coconut sugar, baking powder, salt, and chocolate chips. Add in the almond milk, orange juice, egg, vanilla extract, and orange zest and gently whisk with a fork until totally combined. It's okay if the batter looks a bit lumpy.
- Heat a non-stick pan on medium-low heat. Spray the pan with olive oil. Once your pan is warmed up, you can begin making your pancakes.
- Use a 1/3 cup measuring cup to scoop batter into the middle of your pan. Allow pancake to cook for 1-2 minutes or until bubbly and the edges look slightly done. Gently flip pancake and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes. Continue until all pancakes are cooked, spraying your pan with olive oil between each pancake.
- Serve warm with your favorite vegan butter and maple syrup! Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
This recipe can easily be doubled to make 14 small pancakes or to make fewer, larger pancakes.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:2 pancakes
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 426Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 62mgSodium: 905mgCarbohydrates: 79gFiber: 5gSugar: 23gProtein: 11g
calculated nutrition information may not always be accurate