Take your rice krispie treats up a notch by toasting your marshmallows and adding layers of whole graham cracker and melted chocolate! If you love s’mores, then you will LOVE these S’mores Rice Krispie Treats!
S’mores Rice Krispie Treats
Get your marshmallows and graham crackers ready! These S’mores Rice Krispie Treats are calling your name and they are good. A step up from traditional rice krispie teats, these squares are made with whole graham cracker, melted chocolate, and toasted marshmallows. The best part? These delicious bars come together quickly and only have a few more steps than traditional rice krispie treats!
Step 1: Roast or toast the marshmallows in your broiler
Step 2: Add a layer of graham cracker squares to a prepared 9×13″ pan
Step 3: Add a layer of melted chocolate + refrigerate
Step 4: Melt the toasted mallows + butter and then stir in the cereal
Step 5: Gently press the marshmallow cereal mixture onto the chocolate layer
Step 6: Let set and then slice and enjoy!
The Only 5 Ingredients You’ll Need
- Marshmallows make up the bulk of these treats, and you’ll toast yours in the oven before melting them to get that ooey gooey rice krispie treat texture and campfire s’mores flavor.
- Plant-based butter (or regular butter) adds flavor and helps the marshmallow mixture spread over the cereal.
- Semi-sweet chocolate chips (or bar chocolate) are melted and spread over the graham cracker layer to create that classic s’mores taste. Feel free to use your favorite chocolate – semi-sweet, dark, or milk chocolate (if you’re not dairy-free).
- Crispy rice cereal (i.e. Rice Krispies) is the classic cereal used for rice krispie treats. Make sure you don’t accidentally get puffed rice!
- Graham crackers are broken into squares and placed in the bottom of the pan. You’ll arrange them neatly so you can use them as a guide to slice your finished treats.
More Rice Krispie Treats
- 6 cups + 1 1/2 cups (15oz + 2.5oz) mini marshmallows
- 7-8 whole graham crackers
- 12oz semi-sweet chocolate (chips or bars)
- 1/4 cup plant-based butter (or regular butter)
- 6 cups (7.5oz) crisped rice cereal
- Preheat your broiler. Spray a baking sheet with non-stick spray (I used avocado oil) and add 15oz of the marshmallows in a single layer. Broil for a minute, keeping your eyes on the mallows (so they don't catch on fire!), until golden and toasted. Turn the mallows with a spoon and continue broiling until totally toasted; set aside.
- Prepare a 9x13" pan by spraying with non-stick spray + lining with parchment paper (see photo above).
- Break the full graham crackers into squares and add the squares to the bottom of the pan. Evenly line them up/space them out so you can easily slice the bars later.
- Melt the chocolate (see Note 1) by microwaving in 15 second intervals, stirring between each one, until smooth and melted. Gently spread the melted chocolate over the graham crackers, doing your best to not move the crackers. Place the pan in the refrigerator.
- In a medium bowl, measure out the 6 cups of rice cereal and set aside.
- Prepare a large pot by spraying with non-stick spray. Add in the butter and toasted marshmallows. Heat over medium-low, stirring frequently until everything is melted. Stir in the rice cereal and remaining mini marshmallows.
- Quickly spoon the mixture onto the chocolate-covered graham crackers, lightly pressing into an even layer. Be careful not to press too firmly as this will lead to hard rice krispie treats.
- Allow the bars to cool completely before removing from the pan and slicing. Do your best to slice between the graham crackers squares, but don't fret if it isn't perfect!
- Store treats in an airtight container at room temperature, layering parchment paper between stacks.
- If using chocolate bar(s), you'll need to chop the chocolate into small pieces before microwaving.
- You can also use the double boiler method instead of microwaving - add the chocolate to a heat-proof bowl and place that bowl atop a pan with 1" of simmering water; stir continually until melted.