This recipe is sponsored by Torani, and all thoughts and opinions here are my own. Thank you for supporting the brands that make Sugared & Stirred possible!
Rich and flavorful Salted Egg Yolk Hot Cocoa is so easy to make and takes only 4 ingredients! This decadent, homemade hot cocoa is uniquely sweetened with Torani’s Flavor of the Year: Salted Egg Yolk – a delightful sweet/savory flavor with custard, caramel, and umami notes. This may just be the best hot cocoa you’ve ever had!
Salted Egg Yolk Hot Cocoa
If you’re here then there’s a good chance that you’re familiar with the salted egg yolk flavor. And if not, then you’re curious enough to learn more about it! Having originated in China centuries ago, this sweet & savory flavor has been gaining popularity in Southeast Asia in recent years. It has a sweet, custard-like flavor with notes of savory umami. And coincidentally, it pairs perfectly well with chocolate!
You can think of this hot cocoa as an elevated, more complex version of the cozy drink we all know and love. The Salted Egg Yolk adds a hint of egg custard flavor and even more richness to an already decadent hot cocoa. Check out the simple, 4-ingredient recipe below and let me know what you think!
What You’ll Need for this Hot Cocoa
- Torani Puremade Salted Egg Yolk Syrup is essential to getting the rich, custard-like flavor of this hot cocoa.
- Cocoa powder creates the chocolate flavor. You can use natural or Dutched cocoa powder. I chose to use a mix of the two. Dutched cocoa powder is richer in flavor and darker in color.
- Milk makes up the bulk of the hot cocoa. It adds a creaminess that water could never replace. Feel free to use whatever milk product you like. I prefer oat or almond milk, but, of course, if you aren’t dairy-free then cow’s milk works as well.
- Mini marshmallows melt together with a bit of the Torani syrup to make a lovely (and sweet!) marshmallow “fluff” topping; this is totally optional, but also super delicious!
More “Hot Cocoa” Treats
Spicy Hot Cocoa Muffins
Marshmallow Hot Cocoa Cookies
Peppermint Hot Cocoa Brownies
Salted Egg Yolk Hot Cocoa
Rich and flavorful homemade hot chocolate sweetened with Torani Puremade Salted Egg Yolk Syrup. Top it with melted marshmallow for an even sweeter treat!
- 3-4 Tbsp cocoa powder (natural or Dutched)
- 1/4 cup Torani Puremade Salted Egg Yolk Syrup
- 2 cups plant-based milk (or regular milk)
- 1 1/2 cups mini marshmallows
- 1 Tbsp Torani Puremade Salted Egg Yolk Syrup
- Make the Hot Cocoa: in a medium saucepan, add the Torani syrup, cocoa powder, and then the milk. Place over medium high heat and whisk until the mixture is hot. Be sure to scrape the bottom of your pan with the whisk as you mix. Set hot cocoa aside.
- Make the marshmallow "fluff": add about an inch of water to another clean saucepan and bring to a simmer. Place a heatproof bowl on top of the saucepan, making sure it doesn't touch the water. Add the marshmallows and 1 Tbsp of Torani Puremade Salted Egg Yolk Syrup to the bowl, stirring constantly until melted.
- Pour the hot cocoa into two mugs and immediately top with the marshmallow. If the marshmallow begins to cool too much, it will be extremely sticky and difficult to spoon onto the cocoa; it's best to use it right away.
Did you make this recipe? I would love to see!
Tag @sugaredandstirred on Instagram and hashtag #sugaredandstirred