If you’re looking for a super quick, cozy holiday dessert to pair with that cheesy Christmas movie you picked out, then this Gingerbread Chocolate Chip Cookie Skillet…or pie, or whatever you want to call it, is for you! With sweet molasses, lots of comforting spices, and melted chocolate chips, this giant cookie warm from the oven is just what you need. Grab a spoon and dig in!
Gingerbread CCC Skillet
We all know by now that CCC stands for “chocolate chip cookie(s)”, right? Okay, then we’re on the same page. What’s better than warm chocolate chip cookies fresh from the oven? A warm, deep-dish cookie (skillet or pie or whatever!) eaten with a big spoon and no inhibition. Add molasses, traditional gingerbread spices, and sprinkles and you’ve got a delicious spin on the classic CCC.
There’s not much to this recipe because it is so easy. You’ll mix up the ingredients as you would a classic cookie dough, only you can do it all in one bowl! Yes! After you beat the “wet” ingredients together, you’ll beat the leavening and spices right in. Then you’ll stir in the flour and chocolate chips, and one bowl later, you’re done with the dough! Spoon it all into a pie dish (or an 8×8″ square baking dish) and throw that baby in the oven for around 20 minutes. Top it with ice cream or enjoy as-is!
- 1/2 cup plant-based butter, softened (see Note 1)
- 2/3 cup light or dark brown sugar, lightly packed
- 3 Tbsp molasses (see Note 2)
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp corn starch
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp ground allspice
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 3/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 cup dairy-free chocolate chips, divided
- Sprinkles (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 350°F. In a large bowl, beat together the butter and sugar. Beat in the molasses and then the egg.
- Add the baking soda, salt, corn starch, and spices and beat until combined.
- Sift in the flour and gently mix with a large soon or spatula until no flour streaks remain. Mix in 3/4 cup of the chocolate chips.
- Spread the dough into an 8" pie dish, gently pressing down with a spoon and smoothing the dough out. Top with the extra 1/4 cup of chocolate chips and the sprinkles, pressing the chocolate chips slightly into the dough.
- Bake at 350°F for 20-25 minutes. Enjoy while it's warm!
- Butter: if you're using stick butter (plant-based or regular), you must set it out to soften at room temperature. If you're using plant-based butter in a tub, there's no need to set it out as it's already soft enough.
- Molasses: if you don't have molasses on hand (which makes this cookie!), you can definitely still make it with the spices. Simply omit the molasses, use 3/4 cup of brown sugar instead of the 2/3 cup, and add 1 tsp of vanilla extract (at the same time as the egg).
- For slices: line the pie dish with parchment paper strips, leaving a bit of overhang around the edge. Allow the cookie to cool completely in the dish and then use the parchment paper to lift it out and onto a cutting board. Slice into pieces like a pie.