This recipe has been updated and modified as of August 2021.
Rich and creamy Cookies & Coconut Cream Ice Cream Bars with Oreo cookies and a decadent chocolate shell! Put your popsicle molds to use with these fun vegan ice cream bars!
Cookies & Coconut Cream Ice Cream Bars
The only way to make a homemade chocolate coconut ice cream even better? Add Oreo cookies! This quintessential American cookie has been improving our favorite ice creams for as long as I can remember. My version of a cookies and cream ice cream is made with thick coconut cream and a bit of cocoa powder for extra chocolate flavor….of course!
These Cookies & Coconut Cream Ice Cream Bars are my vegan version of a chocolate-covered ice cream pop. And let me just say, these are good. So good that my husband (who normally avoids sweets) couldn’t help himself and brought the whole tray of pops out to the living room one night to snack on. With a creamy coconut cream base, lots of Oreo cookies, and super sweet agave, these homemade ice cream bars are exactly the cold treat you need.
How to Make the Creamiest Vegan Ice Cream
- Freeze the coconut cream before making the ice cream. Yes, this takes more preparation, but it will make your ice cream so much creamier! You want to shake your can of coconut cream and then pour out and freeze the liquid. There are three ways I’ve done this: pour into an ice cub tray, pour into a Ziploc bag and lay sealed bag flat on a baking tray, or line a baking sheet with parchment paper and pour the cream directly onto the paper. I personally prefer the bag method as I find it easier to break apart the frozen cream and easier to blend as the chunks are very thin.
- Once the coconut cream is totally frozen, you will blend it together with the other ingredients to make the ice cream. Keep blending until the mixture is smooth and uniform in color. Then add the ice cream to a freezer-safe container (I used a glass bowl) and freeze for 30 minutes.
- Take the ice cream out of the freezer and use a hand mixer to beat the ice cream – this is another step that will help the ice cream be creamier! At this point, you’ll stir in the crushed Oreo pieces and then add the ice cream to your popsicle mold(s). I used silicone molds – like these – and made 8 popsicles. And then you’re ready for the final freeze.
- The next step, dipping the pops in chocolate, is optional but takes the bars to another level of decadence. Once you’ve melted your chocolate in a tall glass (this is the easiest way to enrobe the pops) you’ll simply dip the ice cream bars into the chocolate and then sprinkle some extra cookie pieces on top. And voila! Enjoy or freeze for later.
Cookies & Coconut Cream Ice Cream Bars
Rich and creamy vegan ice cream bars with a semi-sweet chocolate shell. Put your popsicle molds to use with these fun Oreo ice cream bars!
- 1 can coconut cream, frozen (see step 1)
- 1/4 cup oat milk (or coconut milk)
- 3 Tbsp agave
- 2 Tbsp cocoa powder (natural or Dutched)
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 12 Oreo cookies (or other chocolate sandwich cookies)
- 1 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1-2 Tbsp coconut oil
- The night before, shake and open your can of coconut cream. Pour the cream into an ice cube tray or into a large plastic Ziploc bag (alternatively you can pour it onto a parchment-lined baking sheet) and freeze until solid. If you’re using a Ziploc bag, place the sealed bag flat on a baking sheet to freeze.
- Once frozen, break up the coconut cream and add the chunks to a blender. Add the oat milk, agave, cocoa powder, and salt. Blend until combined and smooth. This may take a couple of minutes. Pause the blender and scrape down the sides as necessary. Finally, blend in 4 sandwich cookies.
- Pour the ice cream mixture into a freezer-safe container, cover, and freeze for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, crush up 8-10 more sandwich cookies.
- Remove the ice cream from the freezer and use a handheld mixer or whisk to beat the mixture. Stir in the crushed cookie pieces. Spoon ice cream mixture into your popsicle molds. Freeze until solid.
- Once the ice cream pops are frozen, you can prepare the chocolate shell coating. In a microwave-safe drinking glass, melt the chocolate chips and coconut oil in 30 second intervals, stirring after each interval, until melted. Allow to cool for a few minutes. Meanwhile, crush up 3-4 more cookies.
- Remove your ice cream pops from the molds and dip each one into the melted chocolate. Shake off the extra chocolate and immediately sprinkle each pop with more crushed cookies. Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Re-freeze pops for 5-10 minutes before enjoying.
- Store leftover pops in a single layer in an airtight container in the freezer. Allow pops to thaw for 5-10 minutes before enjoying.
Did you make this recipe?
Tag @sugaredandstirred on Instagram and hashtag #sugaredandstirred