Hello friends! I took a bit of an unexpected hiatus from baking and blogging the past couple of months to focus on taking care of myself (and also because the sight of food made my stomach turn). Yep, Nathan and I are expecting baby #2 this coming January! I’m finally feeling much more like myself these days, and I’m happy to be getting around to sharing this delicious Strawberry Balsamic Galette with you all! I made this galette at the beginning of the summer (or was it still Spring?), but let’s be honest, strawberries are a year-round staple for lots of us in the States. So here we are!
I’ve said this before (and I’ll never stop saying it), but I love galettes! To me, they’re like an easier, dressed up version of pie. They look gorgeous, they’re relatively easy to put together, and you 100% don’t have to worry about pinching the perfect crust. My coconut oil crust is so simple and comes together quickly in a blender or food processor. And then it’s just a matter of mixing a few ingredients together for the filling and assembling your galette! If you’re new to galettes, don’t worry. You basically roll the crust into a circle, dump your filling, and then fold the edges up and over. Pop it the oven, and you’ve got a beautiful, scrumptious dessert that pairs perfectly with your favorite vanilla bean ice cream.
Some of the ingredients I love for this recipe:
Coconut sugar is my favorite, go-to sweetener. It’s unrefined and low glycemic index. It tastes nothing like coconut and makes for a great 1:1 substitute for white sugar.
Coconut oil makes for a great butter/shortening replacement for pie crust. I find that the crust still comes out flakey and delicious. For me, the taste is unnoticeable, but you can use refined coconut oil to make sure there is absolutely no coconut taste.
Corn starch thickens the fruit filling, so you’ll get clean slices.
Agave brings moisture and sweetness to this galette. If you prefer to use maple syrup or honey, go for it!
Strawberry Balsamic Galette with Coconut Oil Crust
An easy and delicious, lightly sweetened galette made with fresh strawberries and a splash of balsamic vinegar. With a flaky coconut oil crust, this recipe can easily be made vegan!
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp coconut sugar (or granulated sugar)
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, solid
- 3-5 Tbsp cold water
- 4 cups fresh, sliced strawberries
- 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tbsp coconut sugar (or granulated sugar)
- 2 Tbsp corn starch
- 2 Tbsp agave
- 1 Tbsp fresh orange juice
- Zest from 1 orange
- Honey (or agave) to brush on baked berries
- Prepare your crust by adding the flour, coconut sugar, and salt to a blender or food processor. Pulse until combined. Spoon in the solid coconut oil and blend. Add cold water 1 Tbsp at a time until dough begins to come together - slightly wet is better than dry when it comes to coconut oil crusts. Dump crust onto a piece of plastic wrap, shape into a disc, and refrigerate for 10-15 minutes (or until firm enough to roll out).
- Meanwhile, prepare your filling. Slice your strawberries and place them in a large bowl; set aside. In a small bowl, whisk together the balsamic vinegar, coconut sugar, corn starch, agave, orange juice, and orange zest. Mix until combined. Pour mixture over strawberries and gently mix.
- Preheat your oven to 375°F. Take your crust out of the refrigerator, remove plastic, and place between two pieces of parchment paper (the size of a baking sheet). Roll into a large circle - don't worry about getting the shape perfect!
- Pour strawberry mixture onto the middle of your rolled out crust, evenly distributing the berries - be sure to leave at least a 1" border of plain crust to fold over. If your edges are really uneven or jagged, feel free to trim your galette to a more circular shape. Brush almond milk or egg wash (whisked egg) around the border. Gently fold the crust up and over the fruit, being careful not to tear the crust. If any tears occur, you can use a bit of water to help you pinch and smooth the dough back together. If you have any remaining liquid in your bowl, pour that over the strawberries.
- Keeping your galette on the parchment paper, carefully move it to a baking sheet. Brush the crust with almond milk or egg wash. Bake at 375°F for 20-25 minutes or until fruit is bubbling and tender - you can use a fork to check the berries for doneness.
- Once your galette is out of the oven, brush the berries with a small amount of honey (or agave, if vegan) for added shine. Allow your galette to cool before slicing up and enjoying! Or scoop your favorite ice cream on top and eat it warm, right off the pan! Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 318Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 222mgCarbohydrates: 44gFiber: 3gSugar: 15gProtein: 4g
Nutrition information may not be accurate.
Did you make this recipe?
Tag @sugaredandstirred on Instagram and hashtag #sugaredandstirred