If you’ve been following along with me for a while then you know I love a good cookie. Especially a chocolate chip cookie. I grew up baking chocolate chip cookies for my family (seriously, at nearly every family gathering), so there’s just something about a fresh cookie, or spoonful of dough, that just makes me feel happy. For these cookies, I really wanted to create a quick and simple recipe. No special ingredients. No waiting for the dough to chill. All made in one mixing bowl. And, most importantly, a dough that tastes just like the one I always made for my family. This is it.
The dough for these cookies comes together like a standard chocolate chip cookie. You’ll beat the vegan butter and sugars. Add the vanilla and eggs. Then, which is non-traditional, you’ll beat in the leavening agents and salt. Stir in the flour and chocolate and you’re ready to bake! Seriously. These are easy. Like, give-me-twenty-minutes-to-pop-some-cookies-in-the-oven easy. You can scoop or roll the dough – whatever you choose just make sure you have some of the chocolate chips showing at the top of your dough balls. Since I used a mix of mini and regular chips, I didn’t have to top my dough balls with extra chocolate. The dough was already super loaded!
Some of the ingredients I love for this recipe:
Vegan butter gives these dairy-free cookies that buttery taste we all love. The dough tastes exactly the way chocolate chip cookie dough tasted growing up.
Brown sugar lends moisture to these cookies, and I don’t recommend using any sugar replacements.
Mini chocolate chips are a great way to ensure maximum chocolate in each bite! I used a mix of half regular chips + half mini for ultimate chocolate distribution. This also makes for beautiful cookies!
Corn starch (or arrowroot starch) gives these cookies a bit of chewiness, which helps them last for days. Seriously, pop one in the microwave and your cookie will taste good as fresh.
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) vegan butter, softened
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp corn starch (or arrowroot starch)
- 1 3/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup dairy-free chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup dairy-free mini chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 350°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, beat the vegan butter and sugars. Beat in the egg until totally combined. Beat in the vanilla. Then, beat in the baking soda, baking powder, salt, and corn starch.
- Use a large wooden spoon or spatula to stir in the flour until a few flour streaks remain. Add the chocolate chips and stir until just combined.
- Scoop or lightly roll dough balls 1 1/2 Tbsp in size. Place 6-8 dough balls on your cookie sheet, making sure the areas with chocolate chips showing are on top - if you used mini chips then you shouldn't have to press more chips into the tops.
- Bake cookies at 350°F for 6-8 minutes or until just barely golden. Gently move to a cooling rack.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container at room temperature.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 232 Total Fat: 7g Saturated Fat: 4g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 2g Cholesterol: 20mg Sodium: 220mg Carbohydrates: 42g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 23g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 4g