Easy and quick Dark Chocolate Rice Krispie Treats are a chocolate-y twist on the classic marshmallow treats. With dark chocolate, Dutched cocoa powder, and extra marshmallows, I promise these delicious bars won’t last long!
Dark Chocolate Rice Krispie Treats
There’s nothing quite like an ooey gooey (do we hate this word?) rice krispie treat. The sweet marshmallow and crispy cereal make for a magical combo that delights both children and adults alike – at least here in America where many of us grew up eating them. You may be wondering if it’s the nostalgia that motivates a woman in her thirties to eat two of these big, chocolate-loaded treats in one sitting , but I’m here to assure you that no, it’s not. It’s the dark chocolate, sweet, sweet mallow, and flakey sea salt all combined for the perfect weeknight (or weekend) treat!
Here’s Why You’ll Love Them:
- They’re no-bake
- You make them in one pot
- There’s little waiting/down time – you can eat these right away!
- The extra marshmallows make the bars soft
- They stay “fresh” for days
- You can customize the topping
What You’ll Need
- Mini marshmallows are the main ingredient! You can use mini or regular marshmallows as long as you have a total of 15oz/427g.
- Rice Krispies cereal is the second main ingredient. Any brand of “crispy rice” cereal will work – just don’t use the puffy kind.
- Dark chocolate in bar or chip form bring extra gooeyness and flavor to these bars. You can use a semi-sweet chocolate here as well, but the treats will be a tad sweeter. I LOVE the balance the dark chocolate brings to the sweetness of the marshmallows.
- Plant-based butter (or regular butter) is added to bring flavor and helps you coat all the cereal in the marshmallow mixture.
- Dutch-process cocoa powder is darker in color and richer in flavor that regular, natural cocoa powder. The Hershey’s Special Dark Cocoa is Dutched and easier to find than some other brands. Natural cocoa powder will work as well, but your bars will be lighter in color.
- Flakey sea salt adds a little oomph to these bars. And how pretty does it look on top?! I like the way the slight saltiness pairs with the sweetness of these bars. So delicious!
Even More Chocolate on Chocolate Recipes
- 1/4 cup (57g) plant-based butter (or regular butter)
- 4.4oz (125g) dark chocolate, divided
- 9 cups (427g) mini marshmallows
- 1/4 cup (30g) Dutched cocoa powder
- 6 cups (228g) crispy rice cereal
- Flakey sea salt to sprinkle (optional)
- Prepare a 9x13" pan with non-stick spray and parchment paper.
- In a large pot, add the butter, 50g of chocolate, all of the marshmallows, and the cocoa powder. Stir constantly until everything is melted together and well combined. Be careful not to let the chocolate sit in the bottom of the pan as it could burn.
- Add the crispy rice cereal and quickly stir until all the cereal is well-coated with the chocolate marshmallow mixture.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared pan and gently press down until you have an even layer. Don't press too firmly as this can make the treats hard. Allow the treats to set for 15 minutes to cleanly slice OR enjoy them right away.
- If you're slicing into bars, pull the set mixture up and out of the pan. Slice into 15 squares.
- Melt the remaining 75g of dark chocolate (see Note 1) and drizzle over each bar. I like to add my chocolate to a piping bag fitted with a small, round tip. A ziploc bag will work, too!
- Top with flakey sea salt and enjoy!
- Store leftover in an airtight container at room temperature.
- I like to melt mine using the double boiler method. Simmer 1" of water in a small saucepan. Place a heat-proof bowl on top, being sure it doesn't touch the water. Add the chocolate to the bowl and stir constantly until just melted.