It’s probably safe to say that if you’re here then you’re as into warm quick breads topped with butter (or, in my case, vegan butter) as I am. This perfectly spiced pumpkin bread is moist, extra sweet with a swirl of cinnamon sugar, and seriously delightful with a melty spread of butter. I’ve been snacking on it all week, and it does not disappoint!
I find quick breads like pumpkin loaves and muffins to be such an easy snack/dessert to whip up. This loaf is no different. The cinnamon swirl mixture is easy to get together, and then you’ll only need to layer it within the batter before baking. I topped my loaf with about half of the mixture (pre-bake), which yields a crunchy, sugary top to the bread. If that’s not your thing, feel free to mix all of the cinnamon swirl mixture into the batter!
Since this recipe calls for melted coconut oil, it’s important that all other ingredients be room temperature to prevent the oil from solidifying into little oil balls. You can warm your eggs up in a glass of warm water and simply pop your plant-based milk into the microwave for around 20 seconds. Oh, and if you’re looking for a recipe to use up your leftover pumpkin puree, check out my other pumpkin recipes!
Other pumpkin recipes you may like:
Some of the ingredients I love for this recipe:
Whole wheat pastry flour makes for the softest quick bread! I love using it in my loaves and muffins. For an extra fluffy loaf, you can use all WWPF and no AP flour.
Coconut oil brings moisture to this loaf. Feel free to use refined or unrefined.
Coconut sugar is my go-to low GI, unrefined sweetener. It’s a perfect 1:1 replacement for refined white sugar, and it tastes nothing like coconut!
Cinnamon Swirl + Topping
- 1/4 cup vegan butter
- 1/3 cup sugar (white, brown, or coconut)
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temp
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/3 cup plant-based milk
- 1/3 cup melted coconut oil
- Preheat your oven to 350°F and prepare an 8x4" loaf pan: spray generously with non-stick spray (you can also line with parchment paper after spraying).
- Bring your eggs to room temperature by placing them in a glass of warm water for around 10 minutes. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, add the cinnamon swirl ingredients: vegan butter, sugar, and cinnamon. Heat up until vegan butter is melted, and then mix ingredients together; set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and cloves; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the coconut sugar, eggs, vanilla, pumpkin puree, plant-based milk, and coconut oil until well combined. Add liquid ingredients to dry and gently mix until no flour pockets remain.
- Add half of the batter to your prepared loaf pan. Drizzle with half of the cinnamon swirl mixture. Add the remaining batter and top that with the remaining cinnamon swirl mixture. Use a chopstick (or knife) to swirl the the two together, making sure to go all the way to the bottom of the pan.
- Bake at 350°F for 40-50 minutes or until toothpick inserted into the middle comes out with a few crumbs. Allow bread to rest in loaf pan on a cooling rack for 10 minutes. Run a butter knife around the edges and gently remove the loaf by flipping it upside down. Allow bread to cool, or slice into thick pieces to enjoy it warm! Store leftovers in an airtight container at room temperature.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 481Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 68mgSodium: 305mgCarbohydrates: 69gFiber: 6gSugar: 23gProtein: 10g